I was called to the HR Office and these were the first words the Director – HR spoke after asking me to sit down! This was after I’d been with the org. for over 2 years & considered one of the “rising stars” in my dept.
As someone who’s been laid off, (this happened in 2008 while I was in the US on a work visa), I know that the hard work of proving your unique value to your organization is a continuous process and starts from Day 1.
“Involuntary attrition is integral to normal course of business..” TOI article on tech layoffs (https://bit.ly/32iNr78)
While this may be the case, there is nothing normal about the mindset of a Senior Executive that’s about to be laid off!!
How does an org. decide whom to lay someone off?
Is it truly an objective process as most orgs claim it to be and if not, what is the weightage given to the annual appraisal process and personal feedback/recommendations from the peers, vertical heads/senior leaders?
Before someone else does, YOU need to ask yourself some tough questions about what value you truly provide to the org and as importantly how can you prove it?
- When was the last time you invested In #upskilling yourself?
- Are you known to be more proactive vs reactive?
- Are your team members comfortable coming to you for advice/guidance even when it’s not work related or when they know they’ve made a mistake?
- How does the work that you do directly impact the 3 pillars that any org stands on?
- Bottom Line Impact (Revenue/Profitability)
- Employee Well Being & Efficiency
- Org & Personal Brand/Reputation
As you move from mid to senior level leadership, your “Executive Presence” is determined by some of these key aspects:
- Leadership & Social Influence
- Emotional Intelligence
- Situational Leadership
- Developing an Entrepreneurial Mindset
- Effective Networking
- Leading Change
As a career & personal brand strategist with 18+ years of Global Experience, I can guide you to achieve the career aspirations you have for yourself via a custom Personal Improvement Plan (PIP) that targets specific goals that are aligned with your personal ambitions.